If you advertise goods and services, you are probably familiar with direct marketing tools. Not? How could that be? Without close contact with consumers, it is difficult to achieve really good sales.
We fixed this shortcoming and provided you with the following article. It contains information about the most important direct marketing tools and how to use them. Useful reading!
A brief description of direct marketing
Only reviews following product purchases can have the maximum impact on the effectiveness of an advertising campaign. You can obtain this information using direct marketing tools.
This type of merchandise promotion has been around for decades but is still considered by manufacturers and merchandisers alike as one of the most useful tools for researching the demand and its possible direct impact on consumers.
Direct marketing has another name – direct marketing. This term describes any contact that a manufacturer (or seller) of a product makes with an actual or potential buyer to complete a sale.
For this purpose, special methods and tools are used, based on studying the target audience of consumers, stimulating buying activity through targeted advertising campaigns, and creating the best conditions for participating in buying and selling transactions.
Let’s show you the main positions of direct marketing:
The most important parameter is working with the customer base. All direct marketing activities should aim to get consumers to act on the offer. Work should be concentrated – it is necessary to pay attention not to the general mass of potential buyers, but to a specific audience or group of people. All customer information must be well researched, structured, and analyzed. Your business proposal should be written in a way that suits your needs.
To increase efficiency, it is necessary to choose the right and aligned CRM system that manages the relationship between the customer and the company.
Basic direct marketing tools
There are currently several main channels for direct marketing:
- Traditional mailing list
This tool first appeared in direct marketing and is still actively used to solve many business problems.
This approach to working with clients has many benefits. First, ensure the individual way of interacting with customers and help to work in a clear target market. The advantages include, firstly, targeted work with customers, which allows you to understand how users react to your product or service, and second, running promotional campaigns in private. This allows you to hide your intentions from competitors and protect important confidential information.
If the chosen direct marketing instrument does not achieve the desired effect despite all efforts, then you have miscalculated several things in your work. Possible:
- unreliable customer base (wrong addresses and phone numbers, business owners have changed their activities, etc.);
- failed interaction schemes with buyers (it is not clear what actions the buyer should take in response to your offer, additional resources are required on his part);
- an inconclusive description of the competitive characteristics of the product;
- Poorly designed advertising campaign (the creative design and layout does not match the product’s price category);
- failed commercial offer text;
- wrong choice of writing style in relation to directors or company decision-makers.
- the business offer was delivered to the recipient at the wrong time;
- Lack of a contact base prepared before and after sending by mail (it is best to contact the customer first and warn him of the intention to provide important information, and then consolidate the results by ensuring that the letter is delivered and read).
- Transmission of Information by Facsimile
Faxing is a direct marketing tool whose main advantages are economy and efficiency.
The possibility of sending a fax is provided in the work of many companies. This information retrieval method performs the following functions:
Helps maintain constant contact with customers – Sending faxes regularly is a great way to remember and increase customer retention.
You can quickly and at no additional cost notify customers of short-term offers, update collections, remind them of promotion times, and invite them to current events.
Amplify the impact of future contact with the customer (you can communicate your intention to contact someone with your sales offer not only by phone but also by fax).
- Email Newsletters
It is the most widely used direct marketing tool. This form of communication with customers allows:
- Build strong business contacts and do individual work with clients who are most interested in you and increase their loyalty;
- Immediately provide information about changes to offers, promotions, events, and other important events;
- focus on the possibility of using other communication channels for direct marketing.
- Remote marketing
You can get the most out of your tasks with this easy-to-use and flexible direct marketing tool. With this you can:
- to build a genuine customer base of existing and potential buyers;
- understand the characteristics of the needs of your target audience;
- Understand the reasons why customers refuse to cooperate;
- identify current ad campaign weaknesses;
- avoid mistakes when planning events for buyers;
- Receive information about the effectiveness of other direct marketing services used in the work.
- Courier Delivery
The task of the delivery service is actually much more comprehensive than it may seem at first glance. With the help of a courier, you will have the opportunity not only to deliver business letters, packages with important documents, or other deliveries but also to emphasize the high value of the information sent and the special status of the client. This way of working increases engagement with your target group and ensures sales growth.
- Marketing using directories
The distribution of product catalogs to customers has long been used for advertising purposes. Currently, this form of direct marketing is possible at the lowest cost, as potential buyers can be informed not only through printed products but also through electronic and online media.
An effective direct marketing technique that enables the sale of goods and services to the public. On special TV channels, customers present themselves with a wide variety of goods, clearly highlighting their quality and announcing good prices. Most often, with the help of TV shops, they sell items from the fashion segment, home appliances, jewelry, and everything that might be of interest to the target group who spends a lot of time in front of the TV screen.
Mini-points of trade or stationary information – vending machines, small pavilions, shelves, mobile counters located in crowded places are also tools for direct marketing.
Direct marketing tools in financial markets
You shouldn’t use direct marketing tools to communicate with consumers too easily – overactivity can lead to a backlash. When working in the financial markets, it is very important to use direct marketing techniques. It is very important to work taking into account the individual needs of the client and the peculiarities of his life situation.
- A special approach to working with finance
Financial products can be chosen by consumers without outside help. It depends on how freely one can analyze the available information about the service. Almost all customers have such skills, which contributes to the increase in the number of refusals to complete transactions.
- The call center is a powerful tool for working with the masses
It is unlikely that today there will be a more effective tool for mass work with customers than a call center. Not only will they help you reach the largest number of customers, but they will also help you systematize your business.
Customer service through a call center offers the following advantages:
You will receive all the information quickly and without leaving home. You don’t have to go to the bank or insurance company in person to find out for yourself about a quote. Call center specialists can answer interesting questions during the communication process, eliminating all “pain” and doubts.
Consultations are carried out by specialists with the highest level of expertise on your topic of interest. The automated call distribution system ensures that inquiries are immediately forwarded to the right specialists. This contributes to the high quality of the information provided to customers.
Financial companies also get a number of benefits:
Optimization of specialist work
At this stage of the call center’s work with potential clients, it is possible to establish their true intentions regarding the transaction, and therefore those who, most likely, will not use the offered services, can be identified. This allows you to save time on failed communications with people and does not contribute to the fact that there is a negative reaction on their part to the next request.
The characteristics of the call center contribute to the optimization of the sales process. The operator’s communication system is based on the ability to work with three databases: the customer database, which is created on the basis of the personal data provided by the customer; a base formed by the customer company and a special base (eg created taking into account legal requirements).
In general, direct marketing tools such as call centers offer:
- High operator efficiency. All your work is continuously monitored and analyzed in detail. Thanks to this, you can view statistics on their actions throughout the day, week, and other times. This allows you to eliminate defects in work and improve employee discipline.
- Effective Marketing. This method of communication makes it possible to understand the mood of the customer in the first minutes of communication and, accordingly, develop an appropriate behavioral strategy. There are additional ways to overcome consumer objections and use the levers of control to make positive decisions.
- Minimize call center maintenance costs through process automation.